"CCS has given me the academic freedom and faculty support to pursue my real interests and work towards my full potential...I feel like the proverbial "kid in a candy store" with so many opportunities to take fascinating classes in any department, be involved in research on campus, and share ideas with interesting people."
CCS Physics Student
CCS Students and Alumni
- Professor Alexei Filippenko of U.C. Berkeley, an alumnus of CCS Physics, was inducted into the National Academy of Sciences in April 2009 (link) and was recognized as the 2006 Teacher of the Year by the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (link). Click here to read Dr. Filippenko's recollection of his experience in CCS Physics.
- Current CCS Physics student Tobias Mansuripur was awarded a 2009 Winston Churchill Scholarship, of which 14 were offered nationally. Click here for a complete list of recipients.
- Current CCS students Tobias Mansuripur (CCS Physics) and Donovan Ventimiglia (CCS Biology) were recipients of the prestigious 2008 Barry Goldwater Scholarship, the premier national scholarship for undergraduate math, science and engineering students. Click here for a complete list of recipients.
- Magdalena Bezanilla, an alumnus of CCS physics who is now an Assistant Professor at the University of Massachusetts, received one of twenty David and Lucille Packard Fellowships for Science and Engineering in 2007 (link). Click here to read Dr. Bezanilla's recollection of her experience in CCS Physics.
UCSB Physics Department Recognition
- 2006 Gruber Cosmology Prize - Philip Lubin
- 2005 Oliver E. Buckley prize in Condensed Matter Physics - David Awschalom
- 2005 High Energy Physics Prize of the European Physical Society - Harry Nelson
- David Gross 2004
- Alan Heeger 2000
- Herbert Kroemer 2000
- Walter Kohn 1998